About Beach Park
Beach Park Auditorium
In 1908 Herman and Annie Draper came to Des Moines and established a self-supporting orphanage for up to 47 children. They purchased the inland portion of Des Moines creek valley as a playground for the children and as a private picnic and tent camping park open to everyone.
In 1916 a final mill was started on Des Moines Creek Beach, due to financial shenanigans however, was never completed. The building was converted to a dance hall by the Neal Brothers and was a very popular destination. In 1931, it was purchased by the Swedish Covenant Church and served as their Tabernacle until it burned down in December of 1954. A new multi-purpose Tabernacle was completed in the late 1950s, and has now been beautifully updated by the City of Des Moines to continue to serving the community and beyond as an Auditorium and Event Center.
Beach Park Picnic Shelter
During the Draper years, tent platforms, swings, cabins, a performance platform over the creek and a Picnic Shelter were built in the Park. The Swedish Covenant Church purchased Draper Park in 1931, expanded the Picnic Shelter, renamed it "Auxiliary Hall" and used it for a great many purposes over the years. It continues to be used as a Picnic Shelter today.
Beach Park Dining Hall
The people of the church were primarily of Swedish extraction. They built the rustic cabins, cottages and dormitories in the early 1930s with strong elements of Swedish design. The Dining Hall was built in 1933-34 and the Kaffe Stuga was added shortly thereafter. Both were designed by 20 year old Marvel Johnson, then an Architectural student at the University of Washington. She was one of the earliest female graduates from its School of Architecture.
Beach Park Meadow
In 1986 the 20 acre park valley and 630 feet of saltwater beachfront on the Puget Sound was sold to the City of Des Moines. In 1988 Covenant Beach Historic District was placed on the Washington State Register of Historic Places. And in January of 2006, Covenant Beach Bible Camp was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Our park is truly "The Birthplace of Des Moines!"
City of Des Moines Marina
The City of Des Moines Marina is a full service marina on the majestic Puget Sound. We offer superior customer service to one-time visitors as well as
our long-term tenants. We offer wetland dry moorage for 840 recreational vessels. The Des Moines Marina is located on the East shore of the East
Passage of the Puget Sound. We also own and operate the Redondo Boat Launch, a concrete ramp launch a few miles to the south.
Our beautiful coastal city is located just 20 minutes south of Seattle, WA. We sit at the edge of the blue waters of Puget Sound, and are surrounded
by the snowy peaks of the Olympic mountains and majestic Mt. Rainier. The dazzling Des Moines Marina is home to large sailing yachts, as well as small
fishing boats for family fun. A delicious variety of fresh seafood restaurants, and boutique shopping, make up the downtown Marina district.
See our Des Moines Marina Rantals
for more information on renting Marina spaces.
City of Des Moines Arts Commission
The mission of the Des Moines Arts Commission is to provide leadership in establishing cultural opportunities to improve the quality of life,
enhance the aesthetic environment and to promote Des Moines as a center for great arts.
See the Des Moines Arts Commission
website for more information.